50% off annual subscriptions to the OED for UK state schools & US/Canada public K-12 schools
Oxford English Dictionary Online 50% off School Access Promotion Terms & Conditions
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS (the “TERMS AND CONDITIONS”) CAREFULLY. BY CHECKING THE BOX INDICATING THAT YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, OR BY ACCESSING THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY ONLINE (“OED ONLINE), YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2 6DP, United Kingdom (“OUP”).
- The promotional offer is for 50% off OUP’s current list price for access to the OED Online for the Access Period set out in section 3 below in accordance with the Terms and Conditions herein (“The Promotion”). The Promotion is open only to Eligible Institutions as defined below. The Promotion is non-transferable, non-refundable, and cannot be exchanged for a cash alternative in whole or in part. The Promotion expires on 30 September 2019.
- Access Period. Subject to the Terms and Conditions herein, the reduced price access period will commence on the date on which access is granted to an Eligible Institution by OUP and will expire 12 months thereafter, unless terminated earlier pursuant to the terms set forth herein.
- Eligible Institutions. Subject to update by OUP at any time without notice the Promotion is open to:
In the US and Canada: government supported public K12 schools;
In the UK: government supported state schools
where such schools are not existing subscribers to the OED Online.
- Authorised Users. An Authorised User means an individual who is affiliated with the Eligible Institution as a current student, faculty member, library patron, employee or contractor.
- Registration Process.
- Eligible Institutions must submit a request to access the OED Online under the Promotion by completing the registration form on OUP’s website (the “Registration Form”); and Eligible Institutions must agree to these Terms and Conditions. Completing the Registration Form is not proof that OUP has received a request. OUP does not accept any responsibility for requests that are lost or delayed. Requests that are incomplete, illegible, or not submitted in accordance with these Terms and Conditions will be disqualified at OUP’s sole discretion.
- Eligible Institutions are validated by OUP.
- All requests will be responded to within ten (10) working days of the Registration Form being received by OUP.
- OUP’s review of the Registration Form and decision is final.
- Successful Eligible Institutions will be issued with a user name(s) and password(s) by OUP. The Eligible Institution will be responsible for the confidentiality and all use of its passwords.
- Grant of access, permitted use and limitations of use.
- Subject to OUP’s approval of an Eligible Institution’s request, and in consideration of the Eligible Institution agreeing to abide by these Terms and Conditions, the Eligible Institution shall be entitled on a non-exclusive and non-transferable basis for the Access Period and subject to the terms of the Legal Notice for the OED Online to allow its Authorised Users for the purposes of research, teaching, and private study to:
- access the server (either OUP’s or a third party server designated by OUP on which OED Online is mounted) by means of a Secure Network to search the OED Online and to view, retrieve, and display portions thereof. For purposes of these Terms and Conditions “Secure Network” means a network which is accessible only to Authorised Users; without limitation, a cache server or any server or network which can be accessed by anyone other than Authorised Users is not a secure network;
- electronically save portions of the OED Online;
- save and print out single copies of portions of the OED Online;
- incorporate links to the OED Online in electronic course packs and course management systems for use in connection with courses offered by the Eligible Institution for academic credit provided that no person other than an Authorised User may use such links; and
- transmit links to the OED Online to other Authorised Users
in each case subject to any specific restrictions which appear on any particular pages of the OED Online.
- For the avoidance of doubt the Eligible Institution and Authorised Users may not:
- remove or alter OUP’s copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear in the OED Online;
- systematically make multiple printed or electronic copies of portions of the OED Online for any purpose except as permitted by law or as authorised by OUP;
- display or distribute any part of the OED Online on any electronic network, including without limitation, the Internet and the World Wide Web, other than in accordance with these Terms and Conditions; or
- permit anyone other than Authorised Users to access or use the OED Online; and
- use all or any part of the OED Online for any Commercial Use. For the purpose of these Terms and Conditions “Commercial Use” means use for the purposes of monetary reward (whether by or for the Eligible Institution, an Authorised User, or any other person or entity) by means of sale, resale, loan, transfer, hire, or other form of exploitation of the OED Online.
- OUP reserves the right to withdraw the Eligible Institution’s access to the OED Online or any portion thereof in the event that it reasonably believes that the OED Online or any portion of it is being accessed or used otherwise than in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. In such event, OUP will restore access only when the matter has been satisfactorily resolved.
- OUP reserves the right to withdraw from the OED Online and/or cease providing hosting services for content that it no longer retains the right to provide access to or that it determines may be unlawful, defamatory, obscene, harmful, false, infringing or otherwise objectionable.
- Responsibilities of the Eligible Institution.
- The Eligible Institution will obtain at its cost all telecommunications and other equipment and software (including an Internet browser and portable document file reader) together with all relevant software licences necessary to access the OED Online online.
- The Eligible Institution shall be responsible for the confidentiality and use of the password(s);
- The Eligible Institution shall use reasonable efforts to ensure its Authorised Users’ compliance with these Terms and Conditions; to restrict and control unauthorised access to the OED Online and to any Eligible Institution passwords or other access control mechanisms provided by OUP; and to ensure that all Authorised Users are made aware that the OED Online is protected by copyright and the Authorised Users’ access to and use of the OED Online is subject to the restrictions and obligations contained in these Terms and Conditions.
- The Eligible Institution will notify OUP immediately if it becomes aware of any of the following: (a) any loss or theft of the password(s); (b) any unauthorised use of any of the password(s) or other access control mechanisms; or (c) any breach by an Authorised User of the terms of these Terms and Conditions.
- Acknowledgment and Protection of Intellectual Property Rights. The Eligible Institution acknowledges that all copyrights, patent rights, trademarks registered or unregistered of OUP included in the OED Online, service marks, database rights, trade secrets and other intellectual property right relating to the OED Online (collectively the “OUP Intellectual Property”) are owned or controlled by OUP and that this Promotion does not convey to the Eligible Institution any right, title, or interest therein except for the right to use the OED Online in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. The Eligible Institution shall notify OUP promptly (i) of the facts and circumstances surrounding any unauthorized possession or use of the OED Online, OUP Intellectual Property, or any portions thereof; and (ii) on becoming aware of any claim by any third party that the OED Online infringe an intellectual property or proprietary right of any third party.
- OUP reserves the right to alter, amend, suspend, or cancel the Promotion and/or the Eligible Institutions access to OED Online at any time, without prior notice.
- Representation and Warranties. The Eligible Institution warrants that (i) it has the power to and authority to enter into these Terms and Conditions, which Eligible Institution agrees to be bound by all terms contained herein; it is an Eligible Institution and (iii) that their registration for the Promotion does not violate or infringe the rights of any person whatsoever. OUP represents and warrants that it has the power to make available this Promotion and to grant the access referred to herein to the Eligible Institution and that the OED Online does not violate or infringe upon any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary right of copyright of any third party. Other than specified herein, OUP gives no warranty, express or implied, and makes no representation that:
- the OED Online will be of satisfactory quality, suitable for any particular purpose or for any particular use under specified conditions, notwithstanding that such purpose, use, or conditions may be known to OUP;
- that the OED Online will operate error free or without interruption or that any errors will be corrected;
- that the material published in the OED Online is either complete or accurate.
- OUP will not be liable for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any person requesting or not being able to request the gratis access. OUP is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment or software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet, telephone lines or at any website or any combination thereof. In no circumstances will OUP be liable to the Eligible Institution, Authorised User or any third party for any consequential, incidental, special or indirect damages including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or corruption of data, loss of programs, loss of business or goodwill, or other damages or losses of any nature arising out of the use, or inability to use or access the OED Online. Nothing shall exclude OUP’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation or any liability that cannot be excluded by law.
- Force Majeure. OUP and the Eligible Institution shall not be responsible to one another for any failure to perform any obligation under these Terms and Conditions due to force majeure, including electrical outage, flood, earthquake, war, or other similar disruption out of OUP’s control.
- Section 12 (“Liability”) of these Terms and Conditions shall survive termination of the Promotion and/or Access Period. This Promotion is void where prohibited by law. These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between the Eligible Institution and OUP about the Promotion, supersedes all prior communications, understandings and agreement (whether written or oral) relating to the Promotion and may be amended by OUP at any time.
- Third Parties. No provision in these Terms and Conditions is intended to be enforceable by any third party.
- The rights of the parties arising under these Terms and Conditions shall not be waived except in writing. Any waiver of any of a party’s rights under these Terms and Conditions or of any breach of these Terms and Conditions by the other party shall not be construed as a waiver of any other rights or of any other further breach.
- Governing Law. The Promotion and these Terms and Conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.