These web sites offer a range of stimulating articles and activities relating to words and language.
English Language Reference
- Oxford Dictionaries Online An excellent language site full of articles on the origins of words; tips on writing, grammar, and style; words and quotes of the day; quizzes and much more from Oxford University Press. Find out more about how Oxford Dictionaries Online complements the Oxford English Dictionary Online.
- Fun with Words From Rink Works, a free entertainment site.
- World Wide Words Michael Quinion, a freelance writer, regularly updates this web site, which is a collection of articles on words and their use in current English and in history.
- Etymologic Calling itself the “toughest word game on the web,” in this game you’re presented with randomly selected word origin or word definition puzzles to solve.
Sites for teachers
- Teachit Online library of free English teaching resources.
- British Library Learning Resources Explore the “Dictionaries and Meaning” section – leaf through the history of English dictionaries, from the 1500s to the present day, and examine how words change their meaning over time.
- How Do You Mean? Multimedia resources and games for Key Stage 3 level.
Oxford University Press is not responsible for the content or performance of external web sites.