English in time
Here you’ll find articles tracing the story of English from the Anglo-Saxons to the modern day. Expert overviews are combined with accounts of key episodes and themes to introduce you to the history of English.
New articles will be published regularly in the coming months.
- Middle English—an overview, by Philip Durkin
- Early modern English—an overview, by Edmund Weiner
- Early modern English pronunciation and spelling, by Edmund Weiner
- Grammar in early modern English, by Edmund Weiner
- The first dictionaries of English, by John Simpson
- ‘Fly in the ointment’? Assessing the influence of the King James Bible (1611), by David Crystal
- Eighteenth-century English—an overview, by Joan C. Beal (coming soon)
- Nineteenth-century English—an overview, by Lynda Mugglestone
- Twentieth-century English—an overview, by John Ayto
Aspects of English: as well as the history of the language, explore how English has been shaped and is used, along with the stories behind some everyday words. More>